JCAST Chicago Mission:
The Jewish Community Against Sex Trafficking (JCAST) Chicago works to eradicate sex trafficking in the Chicagoland area through public awareness, community engagement, and advocacy at local, state and national levels. Inspired by Jewish values, we partner with interfaith and human rights groups, non-profit organizations, government officials, and law enforcement agencies.
JCAST Chicago Goals:
Goal 1: Expand sex trafficking awareness and knowledge
- Educate Chicago’s Jewish, legal, and secular communities on sex trafficking, thereby strengthening the #MeToo movement and preventing other forms of gender-based violence.
- Expand awareness programming in synagogues and collaborate to reach interfaith audiences throughout Chicagoland area.
- Provide resources to parents: (1) replicate parenting programs piloted in 2018 – Let’s Talk About Girls: Sexuality, Consent in the #MeToo and Internet Age and Let’s Talk About Boys: Sexuality in the #MeToo and Internet Age in synagogues and secular venues including libraries.
Goal 2: Increase engagement in preventing sex trafficking efforts
- Grow partnership with Response Center and Shalva, educating staff on the spectrum of gender-based violence in the Jewish community.
- Expand partnership with legal professionals through partnerships with Bar Associations and Law Schools.
- Explore additional opportunities for JCAST and other Jewish volunteers to build services and resources for survivors through expanded collaboration with Selah Freedom, Traffick Free Drop-In Shelter, and others.
- Diversify the movement by developing new volunteer opportunities for youth and Millennials.
Goal 3: Improve public policies to end sex trafficking
- Collaborate with advocacy organizations, local government leaders, and houses of worship to expand laws to prevent sex trafficking activities including massage parlor regulations and safe harbor laws.
- Provide municipalities with model ordinance(s) and campaigns from other cities.
- Collaborate with women’s groups, houses of worship and direct service organizations to expand sex trafficking prevention movement.
- Expand current list-serve of over 850 and increase social media activity.